Do you think a friend can be more than just a friendship? How can we tell if the other person has the same love interest? Discover the signs that you are in a loving friendship.
Most romantic relationships usually start with a good friendship. At some point, the line between friendship and something more can become blurred. There are many signs that can indicate that you are in a romantic friendship, which means that there may be a chance that the relationship may evolve into something more.
Signs of a romantic friendship
If you suspect a friend likes you, there are a number of signs that may indicate that this person has a romantic interest in you. Among the attitudes, the following tend to be the most common:
- You dream about her: If you think about a person a lot, it is very likely that they will end up appearing in your dreams. In fact, if you start thinking about this person when you do things that don’t make you think of them, it could indicate that you really have an interest beyond friendship.
- You feel jealousy: When jealousy shows up in a friendship relationship, it can indicate that you are actually in love. Jealousy can arise because you find out that this friend is in a relationship or if you are engaged in a very deep friendship. If you start to feel jealousy in a friendship, it’s important to rethink what that bond might mean to you.
- They look at you weirdly: Although this sign of love can be very subjective, the reality is that people look at themselves differently when they feel a love interest in someone. The looks, as well as the body language that a person has towards you can be another of the signs that you must take into account to know if your relationship is between love and friendship.
- You really want to see them: It’s normal to want to see a friend if you haven’t seen them in a long time. But, when you want to be with this person at all hours of the day, it can be a sign that you may want something more with this person. Starting to find excuses to go see this person or remembering details of your times together can indicate that you are dealing with someone who is really special to you.
- You want to know more about this person: A sign of a loving friendship is when you both want to know more about the other person. That is to say if you tend to show an interest in knowing his tastes, his passions or simply in discovering his life.
- You feel butterflies when you see them: If you feel nervous around these people, it could be a sign of a loving friendship. Feeling physically different is a key indicator of the existence of feelings beyond friendship. Especially if nerves mean your heart is beating faster or you have strange sensations in your stomach.
- The way you touch each other has changed: Even if you don’t do it intentionally, people who like each other often touch each other more “unintentionally”. For example, you may notice that you are constantly touching your friend’s arm many times or that there is more contact between you.
- You talk a lot about them: Another of the indicators that can indicate that you are in a romantic friendship is precisely talking a lot about this person. In other words, you have become a fan of this person and you keep praising what they do to others.
- You have adorable nicknames: A sign of love can also mean referring to that person in a completely different way. Especially if it is a diminutive or a sweet word, it is a way of indicating your affection. However, this name must indicate something romantic so that it is the sign of a loving friendship.
- You feel like they don’t bring you enough: Friendships necessarily come with fewer expectations and responsibilities than romantic partners. But if you feel like you’re demanding things from this person that you would only do with your partner, it may be proof that you really want something more from this friendship.
Here are some of the signs that could indicate an interest beyond friendship. If you feel confused, or if you don’t know how to handle this situation and it affects you, you may need the help of a professional therapist.
What if you are between love and friendship?
If you’re attracted to a friend and feel like you want more, the first step is to talk it over with him/her. Especially if there has already been a first contact with this person and you don’t know how they feel. If you have any doubts, it is essential to talk about them, otherwise the friendship could be compromised. On the other hand, if the other person doesn’t really feel the same way about you, you should consider whether to deal with the situation or go away for a while to work out your feelings.
Friendship can easily turn into love, and in fact, it is the natural evolution of most romantic relationships. So, if you find yourself in a situation where you don’t know if you’re in a friendly or romantic relationship, you shouldn’t feel guilty or ashamed. The important thing is that you feel good, whether you are dating or continuing your friendship.